Home
Help
Register

Search

Active Threads  

You are here: Home > ORM Profiler Section > Bugs & Issues> Can't get profiler to work under ASP.NET

Pages: 1
Bugs & Issues
Can't get profiler to work under ASP.NET
Page:1/1 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
greenstone
User

Joined on:
07-Jan-2015 21:47:50
Posted:
2 posts
# Posted on: 07-Jan-2015 22:17:57.  
In the past, I had no problem getting the ORM Profiler to work under ASP.NET.

I've followed: http://www.ormprofiler.com/documentation/1.5/hh_start.htm to the best of my abilities.

I've upgraded to Visual Studio 2013 since I last saw ORM Profiler working (from 2010) (running under IIS or "IIS express" ... tried both) inside Visual Studio 2013, or stand-along under IIS. Since I last tried the profiler, I've also upgraded from LLBLGen 4.1 to 4.2.

Any possible issues with those upgrades and using ORM Profiler?

Now, I cannot seem to the ORM Profiler to log any of the requests from my application (LLBLGen 4.2, using the LLBLGen entities/engine...not EF, not nHibernate).

As an experiment, I have the same code (that is called from my ASP.NET application) called from a command-line application, and I get ORM Profiler to log it fine. ...so I know the ORM Profiler is working ok and it's communicating with my LLBLGen 4.2 ok...just not when the code is running under ASP.NET.

I've had one of the other developers try on her machine, and she sees the same "Waiting for profiling data..." -- never seems to profile.

Here's what I have installed:

ORM Profile v1.5 (version 1.5.0.0 11/18/2013)

ORMProfiler1_1.license in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Solutions Design\ORM Profiler v1.5 directory (purchased license)

LLBLGen 4.2: SD.LLBLGen.Pro.ORMSupportClasses.dll - 4.2.14.903 - 9/3/2014

I'm running Visual Studio 2013 in a Web Application Project using VB.NET.

In the \bin directory of my ASP.NET application, I have:

SD.Tools.OrmProfiler.Shared.dll
SD.Tools.OrmProfiler.Interceptor.dll - Version 1.5.13.1007 11/18/13
SD.Tools.BCLExtensions.dll
SD.Tools.Algorithmia.dll

In the Global.asax:

Private Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
' Enable when want to run the ORM Profiler tool. Also need to include a reference in this project.
SD.Tools.OrmProfiler.Interceptor.InterceptorCore.Initialize("PlatformXXX")

(and a reference to the SD.Tools.OrmProfiler.Interceptor.dll in the .vbproj file)

I start up ORM Profiler v1.5 Final (November 1th, 2013), and I just always see the "Waiting for profile data..." text.

Thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, or how to diagnose it?

Thanks!

Otis
ORM Profiler Team

Joined on:
22-Aug-2011 10:26:38
Posted:
613 posts
# Posted on: 08-Jan-2015 09:38:34.  
When you debug, is that line called in the application start? If so, if you're using .net 4.5, did you try the .net 4.5 interceptor?

Frans Bouma
ORM Profiler / LLBLGen Pro Lead Developer | Blog | Twitter

greenstone
User

Joined on:
07-Jan-2015 21:47:50
Posted:
2 posts
# Posted on: 08-Jan-2015 14:20:16.  
Yes, SD.Tools.OrmProfiler.Interceptor.InterceptorCore.Initialize("PlatformXXX") is in Application_Start(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs). To make sure I didn't miss something, I verified it hits this line by stepping through the code via the debugger.

Am using .NET 4.0.

Otis
ORM Profiler Team

Joined on:
22-Aug-2011 10:26:38
Posted:
613 posts
# Posted on: 09-Jan-2015 09:24:43.  
And I assume you are fetching data afterwards? Could you create a small single page repro case on northwind or adventureworks? (just a simple page which fetches some entities is enough) which reproduces the problem?

If not tried: start orm profiler client first, then the web app. I have seen it before, but that was related to the global.asax code not being run for some reason. Our web tests run normally and work, hence my request for a repro case as there might be something related to the configuration / setup of your application, but I don't know what without having a repro case.

Frans Bouma
ORM Profiler / LLBLGen Pro Lead Developer | Blog | Twitter

Pages: 1